1. John Grant – Pale Green Ghosts
Never have depression and misery been expressed with such humor and so beautifully as they are by John Grant. Pale Green Ghosts is the heartfelt, electronic follow up to his debut album.
2. The National – Trouble Will Find Me
Somehow The National managed to exceed all expectations and top their penultimate album High Violet with an almost perfect selection songs for summer, all featuring Matt Berninger’s soulful baritone.
3. Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Modern, retro, and classic disco music.
4. James Blake – Overgrown
Minus the rap misstep, Overgrown is a haunting masterpiece.
5. David Bowie – The Next Day
The surprising and cohesive comeback by a rock ‘n roll legend.
6. Arcade Fire – Reflektor
Inventive, risk taking, and career defining.
7. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City
Proof that they can flourish without African rhythms.
8. Midlake – Antiphon
Like a brand new band
9. Suede – Bloodsports
Classic return to form for this UK favorite of the 90’s.
10. Janelle Monae – Electric Lady
The long-awaited and solid follow up to Archandroid with some amazing collaborations (Prince, Solange).
- Toro Y Moi – Anything in Return
- Chvrches – The Bones of What You Believe
- Solange – True
- Phoenix – Bankrupt
- Cher – Closer to the Truth
- Gaga – Artpop
- Haim – Days are Gone
- White Lies – Big TV